Everyone knows about slime! You either hate it or love it. We think slime is so overrated and once you’ve experienced Flubba Bubba made the SciGenius way, you will agree too.
Flubba Bubba is a big hit with our students and they never get tired of this experiment. The method to creating flubber is very similar to slime, but we want our gooey mixture to be more like putty. The key to getting a firmer product that you can blow into a bubble is kneading.
Our SciGenius kids love to blow bubbles with their friends and compete to see who can blow the biggest bubba.
The Science Behind the Flubba Bubba!
Chemical reactions occur when a chemical substance changes into another substance with a different chemical makeup.
Flubba is made with two main ingredients, Glue and Liquid Starch. Glue is comprised of linear polymer chains. When the liquid starch is mixed in, it causes the linear polymer chains of the glue to bind with each other creating cross-linked polymer chains.
This chemical reaction creates a polymer knows as flubber. Polymers consist of similar molecules bonded together. Polymers can have a variety of properties. Flubba’s chemical properties makes it bendable and flexible.
Other examples of common polymers you might see every day are plastic bottles, nylon, polystyrene, and PVC pipes. The most famous silicone-based polymer is probably Silly Putty.
As you are conducting this experiment with your kids make sure you share the science behind Flubba Bubba. Ask them age appropriate questions to ensure their understanding of the process and key terms. This will help them to develop a love for science!
How To Make Flubba Bubba!
- Liquid Glue
- Liquid Starch
- Plastic Spoon or Craft Stick
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Fine Glitter (optional)
- Mark your cup at the 1 inch and 2 inch line using a ruler and a marker.
- Fill your cup up to the first line with glue.
- Fill your cup up to the second line with liquid starch.
- Optional – add food coloring and/or fine glitter.
- Mix using your spoon or wooden craft stick.
- Once the mixture starts to come together, pick it up and start kneading it to make sure there aren’t any pockets of glue.
- Grab a pinch of the flubber and pull straight up.
- If it snaps and leaves a clean break, it’s ready. If not, add additional liquid starch in small increments and mix until it does.
Bubba Making Directions
Now that you have finished making the flubba, it’s time to blow some bubbles!
- Roll your flubber into a ball
- Place it on the end of your straw
- Slowly blow into the straw and watch your flubber inflate into a bubble
- Once the bubble grows to your desired size, pinch off the end connected to the straw
- Have fun playing with your Flubba Bubba!
While you are playing, if your bubble pops on any surface, grab a large chunk and roll over the area it popped on. The flubber is cohesive so it cleans itself up!
When you are done playing with your flubber, store it in a plastic zip bag so you can play with it again later.
Don’t forget to Tag us on Facebook @SciGenius1 and on Instagram @scigenius_steam to show off you Flubba Bubba.
SciGenius Safety Tips
Science experiments can be loads of fun for families but remember to always practice safety and use your own best judgement. Adult supervision is advised.
After you enjoy your flubba, remember to wash hands thoroughly, properly clean up and store away your product.